CHAIR OF TOURISM AND NEW TECHNOLOGIES IN SERVICING
TASKS AND OBJECTIVES OF THE CHAIR
The primary task of the Chair is to provide students with academic educational programs rich in necessary public and professional knowledge, and to prepare highly qualified professionals that will fully fit the contemporary requirements of the society.
The ideological goal of the Chair is to familiarize the students with the concept of tourism as a social-economic phenomenon of the human civilization, as well as an vital sphere of specialization, as one of the prior directions for economic development of the country, and as a job market with its highly competitive human resources.
The Chair also pursues the following objectives:
- developing and realizing short-time educational programs for different specialists of tourism and hospitality field;
- cooperating with the state administrative bodies regulating tourism sphere in the RA by organizing collaborative consultations and open-door events;
- closely cooperating with the Armenian tourism private sector and involving the experienced employers into the process of education;
- participating in specialized exhibitions and fairs;
- creating opportunities of organized and interesting leisure for students.
Major function of the Chair is organizing the process of education in Tourism Faculty. The studies are conducted by the qualified teaching staff of the Chair with wide application of new IT means.
The Chair conducts and carries out an ongoing process of educational and scientific-methodological activities, creates course guides and curricula in all special subjects included in the academic educational programs (Full-time BA and MA, Distance BA and MA), prepares materials for current lectures and seminars, as well as develops examination materials for oral and written testing of students’ knowledge. Professors of the Chair supervise the Course Papers, Projects and Graduation Papers of the students.
The Chair organizes and keeps control over the students’ Vocational Practice conducted in the leading Armenian travel companies, hotels, restaurants, museums and other special enterprises.
In the framework of special disciplines taught in the Faculty, the Chair organizes different excursions relevant to the materials passed.
The teaching staff of the Chair is in constant and close cooperation with the students both on educational an extracurricular activities.
All major issues of the Chair are being planned and discussed at the regular Chair meetings.
The BA Academic Program gives students the following opportunities:
- to obtain professional knowledge and essential skills for organizing and developing tourism in Armenia;
- to obtain complete contemporary knowledge and skills for managing international tourism and developing the strategic vectors of tourism;
- to discover personal abilities for planning and designing the service sphere in Armenia;
- to obtain essential knowledge and skills for developing tourist itineraries and realizing Tour Operating activities;
- to obtain complete contemporary knowledge for implementing new information technologies into the sphere of servicing.
The BA Academic Program is compiled of the following subjects:
- Geography of Armenia
- Country studies
- General geology and the natural geological monuments
- Tourism Industry
- History of Tourism
- Geography of Tourism
- ArmenianArchitecture and Archeology
- History of World Culture
- Historyof the Armenian Culture
- Excursionsand Organization of Tour Guides Activities
- World CulturalHeritage and Tourism
- History of WorldReligions
- Historyand Rituals of the Armenian Apostolic Church
- Etiquette andBasic Rules of Business Relations
- Hotel Management
- Catering Servicesand Organization of Restaurant Activities in Tourism
- Tourist Resourcesand Development of TourismTypes
- Organization of International Tourism
- Transport Servicesin Tourism
- Recreation Areas of the RA
- Sport and Event Tourism
- Business, Incentiveand Scientific Tourism
- Securityof International Tourism and Insurance
- Tour OperatingBusiness and Development of Tourist Routes
- Sociology ofTourism
- Tourism Marketing
- PR Management andAdvertising
The MA Academic Program is compiled of the following subjects:
- Nowaday Issues in Tourism
- Innovation in Tourism
- Sustainable tourism development
- Problems of Regional Tourism
- Tourist infrastructure management
- Research Methods in Tourism Industry
- Brand application tools in Tourism
- Intercultural Communication in Tourism
- Basic Issues of the RA Brand Promotion
The full-time Education BA Program has a duration of 4 academic years (8 semesters), by the completion of which students are supposed to submit and defend their Graduation Papers based on theoretical and practical research. The academic load of students is measured in about 30 hours per week including lectures, seminars and tutorials.
In the framework of special disciplines taught in the Chair of Tourism and New Technologies in Servicing. The Chair organizes different excursions relevant to the topics and materials passed. The excursion destinations are located in the main Armenian historic, cultural and natural sites, museums, hotels and restaurants, as well as industrial enterprises, etc.
The excursions have seasonal character, i.e. they are organized in September-November and March-June periods.
Tourism Department students get informed about the day and time of excursion in advance.
World Tourism Day
Celebrating World Tourism Day has become a good annual tradition for the teaching staff and students since the day of the Faculty foundation.
Since 1980, the United Nations World Tourism Organization has celebrated World Tourism Day on September 27. This date was chosen as on that day in 1970, the Statutes of the UNWTO were adopted. The adoption of these Statutes is considered a milestone in global tourism. The purpose of this day is to raise awareness on the role of tourism within the international community and to demonstrate how it affects social, cultural, political and economic values worldwide.
FORMATION OF THE CHAIR
The Chair of Tourism and New Technologies in Servicing was established in 2003 and has had 201 graduates since then both in BA and MA Educational Programs. The basic Academic Educational Programs of the Chair were launched:
Staff of the Chair of Tourism and New Technologies in Servicing
Head of Chair:
Gor Manasyan PhD/ assistant professor/
Members of the Chair:
|Hmayak Danielyan PhD/ assistant professor/||e-mail:email@example.com
Alina Khachatryan /assistant professor/
Anahit Voskanyan /PhD/
Artak Amirkhanyan /PhD/